06 November 2009

War Bowls




T
he Battle of Waterloo. The English Civil War. Zulu War. Designer Dominic Wilcox has designed and made these whimsical war bowls from high-quality melted plastic toys soldiers. Each color is made of figures from tow opposing armies during a particular conflict. The designer states on his website, "The inspiration for the War Bowl came from a combination of ideas. I wanted to create a new material that would work on more levels than the usual qualities such as texture and functionality. My aim was to make a material that had a voice of it's own, not just a passive lifeless thing. I started with the idea of combining small objects in order to create something larger. I arrived at the idea of using toy soldiers as my ingredients. As found objects, they seemed to represent something of a paradox. On one hand they were a fun childhood toy that brought back happy memories and on the other, they were a representation of war with it's associated horrors. This is a contrast that I find slightly uneasy." The War Bowls are available by contacting Thorsten van Elten.